Last week we visited Strasbourg in France, and made it our base for a week of wine tasting, visiting spa towns, and living a fairytale in the Black Forest in Germany.
Strasbourg is such a great city. Sitting right on the border of France and Germany, the influence from both countries is really apparent, which was perfect as it meant lots of fine wine and cheese for me, and beers and sausage for him…We were both happy!! We chose Strasbourg as we wanted a quiet week away, somewhere neither of us had thought to go before, and more importantly, NO crowds of tourists!
Strasbourg is a really popular tourist destination over the festive period due to their iconic Christmas markets, and so going at this time of year was perfect. As well as having the usual tourist shops and restaurants, Strasbourg has a really cool vibe, with lots of quirky markets and bars. It is also a real foodie heaven, with over a thousand restaurants and lots of amazing local dishes to try.
Being in France, wine was high on the agenda. We learned so much about French wine over the week, and drove down the wine road of the Alsace, which led us to so many picturesque little towns and vineyards. Highly recommended!
Here are my favourite things to do in Strasbourg:
- Visit its Gothic Cathédrale Notre-Dame with its amazing astronomical clock
- Eat at the beautiful La Corde a Linge and soak in the atmosphere
- Visit the historic hospital wine cellar and be wowed by wine
- Walk around the romantic Le Petite France and feel like you are in Venice
- Jump on a train from the Gare de Strasbourg and nip into Germany’s Black Forest.
- Drive through the vineyards on the Alsace wine road and visit as many vineyards as you can fit into a day – or two!
We stayed over in one of the small wine towns called Kaysersberg, which was like something out of a fairytale. We did a wine tasting in the afternoon and had the most amazing romantic dinner later on. The town is deserted by 10pm, so we had a great nights sleep.
A highly recommended place to visit, and a great base for a week of adventuring. I’ll be posting details of the Black Forest soon, which was my favorite part of the trip!
Go have an adventure!